Project 100 - Review of the coronial practice in Western Australia
Project No. 100
Terms of Reference
The Commission is to review and report on the jurisdiction and practices of the coronial system in Western Australia, including the operation of the Coroners Act 1996 (WA) ('the Act').
In carrying out its review, the Commission should consider:
- any areas where the Act can be improved;
- any desirable changes to jurisdiction, practices and procedures of the Coroner and the office that would better serve the needs of the community;
- any improvements to be made in the provision of support for the families, friends and others associated with a deceased person who is the subject of a coronial inquiry, including but not limited to, issues regarding autopsies; cultural and spiritual beliefs and practices; and counselling services, etc;
- the provision of investigative, forensic and other services in support of the coronial function; and
- any other related matter.
[ back to top ]